Thursday, April 8, 2010

Closeup of the stone slab

Here is a closeup on the stone slab and the crown. I may work on the crown some more - have to let it rest to "see" it again. It sure is a challenge to try to create realistic-looking stone by scratching with a  scalpel. I had no idea how to do that, so I just had to make the first scratch and then continue until I felt I "got it". Would be nice to hear does the slab look like stone in your opinion? There were slight light variations in the actual slab, along with some nicks and dents, so I tried to make them show too.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Leena,

    The slab sure looks like stone to me. I then had a look at the photo and compared them. The slab in the photo looks a little bit smoother but that's splitting hairs, you've done a great job getting the stone effect on the slab in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Vincent :) Yes, I know - I could have made the slab look smoother, but it would have looked very dull. So I had to think of a way to make get the "stone effect" as you put it so well, and give some details to the eye so that it would look interesting. I want the viewer to understand it is stone. But as I have not done stone with a scalpel before this was a challenge LOL :D

    ReplyDelete